Are painful knees keeping you from gardening or another favorite hobby? Is a very painful hip keeping you away from the life you want to live? Hip and knee replacement at Riverside Community Hospital can set you on the path to rapid recovery, returning to the activities you love most and taking on new challenges.
Find an orthopedic surgeon or call (951) 788-3463 to get more information.
Osteoarthritis affects more than 20 million Americans, and it is more common as we age. Because of active lifestyles, some Baby Boomers are experiencing "wear and tear" arthritis. When the protective cushion of cartilage covering the ends of bones breaks down and wears away, it causes irritation, stiffness and pain.
Non-surgical treatments can include balanced exercise with stretching and strengthening activities, weight loss to reduce stress on joints, heat/cold therapy, medications and cortisone injections.
When you and your doctor agree that it's time for surgery, Riverside Community Hospital offers a comprehensive program designed to meet your individual needs, providing optimal outcomes in the shortest possible time.
What makes our program unique?
At Riverside Community Hospital, your experience includes:
- Comprehensive pre-surgical education so you know what to expect and begin your preparation for going home before you ever enter surgery
- Orthopedic surgeons who make joint replacement a major focus of their practice
- The support and encouragement of your personal coach, a relative or trusted friend who can be by your side throughout your recovery
- A multi-disciplinary team of specially-trained nurses and physical therapists whose focus is on keeping you comfortable and getting you active so your recovery advances rapidly
- An approach to pain management designed to meet your needs with the use of modern medications to enhance pain control and minimize discomfort after surgery
- Use of a variety of adjunctive pain management techniques
How successful is joint replacement surgery?
- Knee replacement is recognized as one of the most successful procedures in all of medicine. In the United States, over 400,000 people have their knees replaced each year. A recent panel of independent experts determined that ninety percent of those opting for knee replacement reported "fast pain relief, improved mobility and better quality of life."
- Hip replacement has become a life-transforming procedure. In the United States, over 190,000 have their hips replaced each year, and as active Baby Boomers mature, the numbers are expected to increase dramatically. More than ninety percent of all hip replacement surgeries are considered successful.
- Every surgery, no matter how "minor", has risks. Hip or knee replacement surgery is major surgery, and there are risks you should be aware of. Complications are relatively rare, but they need to be understood by you and your family. Your surgeon will review the risks and benefits of your surgery with you in detail, and s/he will welcome your questions.