Inland Empire’s most advanced neurological care
The Neurosciences Center at Riverside Community Hospital specializes in caring for the brain, spine and nervous system. Our team of clinical experts has vast experience in treating the most complex and challenging conditions.
The neurointerventionalist and neurosurgical specialists at the Neurosciences Center perform highly specialized surgical procedures on the brain and spine. Riverside Community Hospital is proud to be recognized as the first hospital on the West Coast and the second in the nation by The Joint Commission in collaboration with the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association (AHA/ASA) as a certified Thrombectomy-Capable Stroke Center (TSC). This outstanding certification signifies that the hospital meets rigorous standards for performing mechanical endovascular thrombectomy (EVT), a specialized surgical procedure used to remove a blood clot from the brain during an ischemic stroke. In addition, the hospital is designated by the The DNV-GL Healthcare as a Comprehensive Stroke Center. This designation is another example of their commitment to the community to provide exceptional care to those presenting with stroke. As a comprehensive stroke center, patients can be confident that they have access to the highest level of competence to treat any type of stroke.
Riverside Community Hospital is passionate about neurosciences and our dedicated team of specialists will guide you through diagnosis, treatment and recovery. The Neuroscience Center provides a wide array of services including neurologic emergency services, primary stroke services, complex brain and spine surgeries and many others, including:
- Primary stroke services
- Minimally invasive robotic brain and spine surgery
- Interventional neuroradiologists who can provide around-the-clock services, including the most current stroke treatments
- Designated NeuroCritical care services
- Stereotactic and image guided surgery
- Interventional pain procedures
- Continuous electroencephalogram (EEG) monitoring
- Complex diagnostic imaging:
- Computed tomography (including CTA and CTP)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (including MRA and DWI)
- Carotid duplex ultrasound
- Extracranial ultrasonography
- Transcranial doppler
- Transesophageal echocardiography
- Transthoracic echocardiography
Neurological conditions treated
Although we are certain we can help you with almost any neurologic condition, below is a list of some of the most common conditions we treat:
- Acute hemorrhagic or ischemic stroke and transient ischemic attacks
- Aneurysms and vascular disease
- Brain and spinal cord tumors
- Chronic and acute pain
- Movement disorders
- Neurodegenerative disorders
- Neuro immunology
- Neurologic conditions resulting from infection
- Neurotrauma, brain and spinal cord injury
- Normal pressure hydrocephalus
- Spinal deformities
Neurointerventional treatment options
Riverside Community Hospital has made giant leaps in advancing treatment capabilities for many different conditions through the implementation of the state-of-the art neurointerventional biplane angiography system.
The neurointerventional biplane angiography system is operated by world class neurointerventionalists capable of treating a variety of head, neck and spine conditions with minimally invasive neurointerventional surgical procedures that previously would have required traditional open surgery.
By feeding tiny instruments through a catheter inserted into an artery in your leg, our neurointerventionalists use the neurointerventional biplane angiography system to treat life threatening conditions such as stroke (both ischemic and hemorrhagic), arteriovenous malformations (AVMs), carotid artery blockages, intracranial hemorrhages and many more conditions.
The neurointerventional biplane angiography system uses two mounted rotating cameras to take simultaneous pictures which creates detailed images of the vessels and soft tissue anatomy. The two sets of images are brought together on a computer screen to form a 3D portrait of the area your doctor wants to evaluate for treatment. This detailed imaging allows your physician to map the path of blood flow through the vessels in the neck and head.