Sweet Potato & Black Bean Salad
Note: Add more chipotle if you like it super-spicy or less if you prefer it milder.
Prep and cook time: 16 minutes
What you need:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- Juice and zest of 2 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 of one chipotle in adobo sauce, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1 (15 oz.) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
What to do:
- Place sweet potatoes into a medium saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil and cook until just tender, about 6 minutes. Do not overcook. Drain and allow to cool.
- While potatoes are cooking, make dressing: In a large bowl, whisk together lime juice, zest, salt, pepper, honey, canola oil, and chipotle.
- Add cooled potatoes, scallions, beans, corn, and cilantro. Toss gently.
- Serve at room temperature or refrigerate.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 240 calories
- 9g protein
- 6g fat
- 1g sat. fat
- 41g carbohydrate
- 10g fiber
- 0mg cholesterol
- 260mg sodium
- 7g sugars
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
American Diabetes Association (ADA)
The ADA website includes news, information, tips, and recipes for people with diabetes.
American Heart Association
This group is dedicated to providing education and information on fighting heart disease and stroke.
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Offering nutrition information, resources, and access to registered dietitians.
ChooseMyPlate.gov provides practical information on how to follow the U.S. government's Dietary Guidelines for Americans. It includes resources and tools to help families lead healthier lives.