Mediterranean Pasta Soup
Prep and cook time: 25 minutes
What you need:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 16 ounces chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup uncooked ditalini pasta (short tube-shaped macaroni)
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
What to do:
- Heat olive oil in large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until lightly browned.
- Add water and next 6 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add pasta and cook additional 10 minutes, or until pasta is tender but not overcooked.
- Stir in parsley. Ladle into bowls and serve.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 230 calories
- 13g protein
- 3.5g fat
- 0g sat. fat
- 39g carbohydrate
- 8g fiber
- 0mg cholesterol
- 290mg sodium
- 8g sugars
Serving size: 1 cup
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
American Diabetes Association (ADA)
The ADA website includes news, information, tips, and recipes for people with diabetes.
American Heart Association
This group is dedicated to providing education and information on fighting heart disease and stroke.
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Offering nutrition information, resources, and access to registered dietitians.
ChooseMyPlate.gov provides practical information on how to follow the U.S. government's Dietary Guidelines for Americans. It includes resources and tools to help families lead healthier lives.